16 September 2009

This Aaron's Not Quite 'Drest'


Unfortunately, it appears there will likely be another gap of some days in the posts here at Logismoi. This is especially tragic since tomorrow is my nameday, the feast of the Holy High Priest Aaron and his brother, the Prophet Moses the God-seer. I promise that I will work on a proper post for St Aaron as soon as I have the chance and will put it up, however belatedly, but hopefully not too belatedly. Ditto for Part II of the St Symeon the Stylite post.

As for St Aaron, in the meantime I recommend that those who have not yet done so read my two original posts ‘On Being Named for the Prophet Aaron’, Parts I and II (Part II discusses St Aaron’s burial place), as well as this post, containing the beautiful poem ‘Aaron’ by George Herbert, and this one, on the lecture of Fr Justin of Sinai on Rephidim, where St Aaron and the Prophet Or (Hur) held up the Prophet Moses’s arms in the form of a cross so that the Israelites could defeat the Amalekites.

10 comments:

Terry (John) said...

Thanks for the links to your posts on St. Aaron, particularly the information about his burial site and the monastery that developed there. I was at Petra last summer and saw Jabal Houran in the distance. I thought about trying to climb to the site, but it is a bit remote from the main part of Petra, and would have really required an additional day, which I didn't have. The site is labeled as the burial place of Aaron on the Jordanian tourist maps of Petra.

Aaron Taylor said...

Too bad you didn't get to see it! I continue to dream of making a pilgrimage to the Holy Land, and when and if that happens I intend to make it a point to visit the Mountain, and Pharan as well.

Kevin P. Edgecomb said...

It used to be the case that non-Muslims were not permitted to enter the actual tomb itself. Perhaps that has changed. Did Fr Justin mention it?

It would indeed be a joy to wander through all those sites, unimpeded by the touristic element, in particular. Perhaps someday!

Aaron Taylor said...

I think I did see that about non-Muslims somewhere. Maybe they would make an exception if I told them my name was Aaron. Or maybe they would just behead me.

Terry (John) said...

That's interesting. Tourists are basically free to wander all over the site, and no restrictions in this area were mentioned. But then, maybe they don't expect people to try for Jabal Houran anyway.

Ochlophobist said...

Many years!

Ian Climacus said...

A Blessed Feast Day and Many Years!

And hope and pray all is well with all the busy-ness.

St. Matthew the Apostle Orthodox Church said...

May years to you on your name day! I just saw Fr Stephen's recent post on iconic and literal views of the world and thought about your thesis on the imagination.

God bless you in your work!

Kevin P. Edgecomb said...

Χρονια πολλα Ααρον!

Aaron Taylor said...

Thank you for the well-wishes everyone! Obviously, I've been away from computers and haven't been able to respond to anything. Hopefully later tonight or tomorrow sometime I'll have a minute to explain what I'm up to!